Access Your Personal Power
“You were born with potential. You were born with goodness and trust. You were born with ideals and dreams. You were born with greatness. You were born with wings. You were not meant for crawling, so don’t. You have wings. Learn to use them and fly.” – Rumi
What makes a person powerful? Is it their money, fame, position, charisma, social status or expertise? Some of these things are important, but the most powerful person has the ability to use not only their external resources, but also access and activate their internal gifts and talents. An influential person is first and foremost true to themselves, and their internal make-up is reflected in their outside world of relationships, work, community and environment. Are you using your powers for good?
Powerful people put their stake in the ground on what they know to be their truth and continue moving toward the greater good of self and others. The leadership in their own lives becomes intoxicating to those around them, and they can’t help but naturally empower others. Their authentic power is apparent and their intense presence is aligned with their own personal values, continual personal growth and resulting external actions.
Do you feel powerful in your life and if not, why? Maybe you are not tapping into all of your greatest assets or fully using your potential. Perhaps you are still living the “life scripts” someone else gave you or you have forgotten the dreams and aspirations you once had. Maybe you have given your power away to someone who emotionally or financially supports you, but does not truly listen, understand or even know you.
No matter where you are in your life, I believe you can regain your power by taking small steps to access that forgotten energy. After all, your personal power is not something you get from things or others, it is something that already exists within yourself. You just have to remember where it is and then retrieve it.
12 Ways to Access Your Authentic Power:
- The Power of Self Know you and your values, what is important to you and your limitations. Claim your own personal power, as opposed to letting others define you. Identify your own personal power.
- The Power of Passion Know what makes you feel alive and pursue those activities that help you feel connected to yourself, others and your community. What do you care about and what makes you mad in the world? Let that inform you about possible hidden passions.
- The Power of Expansion Dream, visualize, grow and create. The sky is the limit and there are unlimited possibilities and resources.
- The Power of Intention Decide what you want and be fierce for it. Use powerful thoughts, words and actions to support your vision that has meaningful influence and purposeful impact.
- The Power of Connection Share your dreams with others who will hold your ideas and visions. Engage in creative collaboration. Connect to the power sources and the people who feed your soul–loyal advocates, a Higher Power, supportive friends and family.
- The Power of Choice You are always in choice about your thoughts, beliefs, feelings, attitudes and actions. Learn to say no when you mean no and yes when you mean yes. Be real and set appropriate boundaries.
- The Power of Words The permanence of language can be used to motivate, inspire and build up. Or it can be hurtful, harmful and used to tear down. Listen actively and say what you need to say. Communicate clearly, positively and responsibly.
- The Power of Action A great idea without action is simply an idea. Do something, anything, to make it real. Move, dance, go outside, make a phone call, set up a meeting. Be proactive, not reactive, and get going.
- The Power of Risk Take a chance on changing. Be uncomfortable or unpopular to pursue what you believe to be true. Be bold and fierce. Be afraid and do something anyway.
- The Power of Giving Give your time, talent and resources to others without sacrificing yourself or expecting recognition. Think outside of yourself. Tithe. Be grateful, understanding, kind and compassionate.
- The Power of Faith Let go and trust in God, a Higher Power, or the Universe. Know what you believe in and stand for what is right.
- The Power of Wisdom Trust your intuition, your experiences, and your wisdom. Never go against yourself, or cause harm to others.
It is within your power to become as happy, content and successful as you make up your mind to be. Accessing your personal power will create the self-confidence you need to take the necessary actions to ensure your desires come to fruition. By unleashing your power within each of these areas, you can go from feeling powerless to being powerful each and every day.
Powerful Coaching Questions:
- What is it to be powerful?
- Who is a powerful role model for you, and what are the qualities in that person that you admire most? What makes them powerful?
- Of these admirable qualities and referencing the above list, what do you already possess that will make you more able to reach your full vitality?
- Are there any people, circumstances or beliefs to which you give your power away? To whom, when and under what circumstances? If so, how can you change course?
- Do you speak powerfully with influence, grace and integrity in order to respect the people you come in contact with on a daily basis?
- Are you being a powerful leader by inspiring, teaching, influencing, modeling or mentoring others?
- Do you recognize the number of powerful, authentic choices you have each and every day?
- Using the list above, create the Inspired Actions you will take to expand your own power base.
Ready to start living an amazingly authentic life?
Join my e-mail list for with tips on living your truest, most passionate you.